These guitars were the projects that started my interest in woodworking. I built the telecaster first in 2011, after a few cigar box ukelele experiments. Then I built the two lap steels in 2012. The first one (red) is made from meranti I got at the lumber yard. The top is curly maple and the fret board is inlayed maple with colored maple veneer. The hardware was recycled form an old knock-off telecaster. The pick guard was my first experiment of making one out of an old vinyl record. Worked great, so I did that on the second one as well. This one (blue) was made from a nice piece of tulip poplar, with a curly maple top just like the first one. The fret board is robinia burl with black veneer inlay and a black and white veneer trim – like the purfling you’d see on a violin. The bridge is carved from the same robinia burl and has the same black and white pattern repeated underneath. It sits on three brass posts. The pickups are old Teisco gold foils, which sound amazing. The finish on all three guitars is hand rubbed shellac, which is fun but takes a lot of time and elbow grease. I also made a couple of cases for the lap steels.